Harrington Seed Destructor (iHSD)
The Harrington Seed Destructor – iHSD is a means to control weed seeds by way of mechanical impact trauma to the seed. The iHSD is integrated directly into the chaff stream of a combine harvester providing harvest time weed control and prevents the vast majority of weed seeds from entering the soil seed bank.
The Australian Herbicide Resistance Initiative (AHRI) has determined that the iHSD can Destroys up to 99% of targeted weed species.
The results speak for themselves...The Mutter’s Farm in Three Springs, WA (below) clearly demonstrating the reduction in weeds in a crop harvested with an iHSD vs a crop without:
- 2x mechanically driven vertical cage mills are retro-fitted to the rear of the combine
- Weed seeds are severely impacted by the mills, until they are no longer viable
- Chaff and inert weed seeds are spread over the paddock as powder
- DESTROYS up to 99% of targeted weed seeds as you harvest (AHRI/Uni SA)
- IMPROVES future weed control, reduces herbicide resistant weeds
- ELIMINATES burning with nothing to do after harvest
- EASY GRAIN LOSS CHECKS with rear hatch access
- SIMPLE IHSD BYPASS for windrowing and/or harvesting without iHSD
- ONE PASS PROCESSING, no chaff carts, no windrows
- BUILT-IN STONE TRAP prevents foreign objects entering mills
- SPACE TO REMOVE SIEVES without removing iHSD (excluding John Deere 1 piece sieves)
- TESTED & PROVEN ability to handle high capacities & Australian harvests
- AUSTRALIAN designed & built after 20 years of development
- BACKED UP with service & support from your local McIntosh & Son dealer
The latest generation of Harrington Seed Destructor is the culmination of 20 years of development and research starting with an idea conceived by Western Australian farmer Ray Harrington.
Ray was driven by the knowledge that Australian farmers were fighting a war to eradicate weeds in their cash crops. From the 1970s the introduction of cheap, highly effective herbicides has been the farmer’s main defence against weed infestation, but over the course of time through natural selection, herbicide resistant strains of weeds have become a critical issue in many areas of Australia across all staple crop varieties.
Ray’s idea was brilliantly simple - what if there was a way to reliably destroy weed seeds mechanically during the harvest process? Enter HSD technology: the chaff stream from a combine harvester is intercepted and fed directly into a high speed mill that pulverises the chaff, including weed seeds that would otherwise pass through the harvester and be returned to the field. The Australian Grains Research and Development Council (GRDC) understood the importance of Ray Harrington’s endeavour and commitment to design a machine capable of destroying weed seeds prevalent in the waste from the harvesting process. The GDRC provided funding and UniSA provided research and development expertise to further develop HSD technology.
HSD and iHSD products are designed and manufactured in Australia by de Bruin Engineering Pty Ltd. Core iHSD Mill Technology was developed by UniSA with funding and support from GRDC. Through GRDC, licensing fees and royalties on HSD and iHSD products are used to enhance research in Australian agricultural systems and fund programs to benefit grain growers.
IHSD is distributed in Australia by McIntosh Distribution.
McIntosh & Son is an authorised dealer for iHSD. New sales of the iHSD products are available in Western Australia at these branches: Albany, Esperance, Geraldton, Katanning, Kulin, Merredin, Moora and Wongan Hills, and in Queensland at Dalby. McIntosh & Son can arrange delivery of pre-owned (used) machines anywhere in Australia.
McIntosh & Son offers a comprehensive, friendly and professional one-stop shop service. We are committed to our customers and aim to provide easy and quick access to sales of new and used machines, quality service and parts.
To order or find out more information, contact a McIntosh & Son branch today.